Top Google Analytics Tips with Andy Crestodina
Raise your hand if you hate data and analytics?
If you’re like many marketers, numbers make your skin crawl. Maybe you even got into PR or marketing so you wouldn’t have to deal with numbers.
But to be a successful marketer in today’s world, you must get comfortable with analytics so you can make decisions based on data and not just your gut.
One of the most powerful tools for marketers is Google Analytics. If you have a website, understanding Google Analytics is absolutely critical.
However, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all of the reports that Google Analytics offers. There is so much data available; it can be difficult to know where to look to get the information you need.
If you want to get more out of Google Analytics, you’re going to love today’s episode.
Instead of a short and sweet episode, we take a deeper dive into Google Analytics. And, to help us with this discussion, we’ve brought in our friend, Andy Crestodina, to talk about how to use Google Analytics more effectively.
Meet Today’s Guest, Andy Crestodina
Andy Crestodina is the co-founder and strategic director of Orbit Media Studios, a digital marketing agency based in Chicago. He’s the author of Content Chemistry and is a regular speaker in Chicago and across the country.
His talks are always well attended with people often pointing to the in-depth walkthroughs he provides specifically in the area of Google Analytics.
It’s likely that you’ve read something from him or heard him speak on topics including content strategy, search and Analytics. Those topics are evidence of his generosity, since Orbit is a web design company and doesn’t actually do marketing. Andy teaches not to generate web design leads, but to help people get better results from the websites they already have.
This might just be our favorite episode yet. Andy brought killer insights to our discussion and we learned a ton – we’re confident you will too!
Here is what we cover on this episode:
- How to ease into Google Analytics without getting overwhelmed;
- Why you should use Google Analytics to answer questions and not simply review reports;
- How Google Analytics use and set up differs for large and small businesses;
- Why every conversion point on your website should include a thank you page;
- How to determine whether you should redesign your website;
- The biggest mistakes people make with Google Analytics;
- Quick tips to get your site to rank better on Google;
- The most overlooked feature in Google Analytics;
- The key metrics to review at the end of the year;
- How to instill a data-driven culture at your company; and
- How content marketing has changed in recent years.
And if you didn’t get a chance to take notes while listening, not to worry! We’ve got a transcript available so you won’t miss a thing.
Show Notes & Resources:
- Orbit Media Studios
- How to Setup Google Analytics: 5 Quick Videos That Make it Easy – Orbit Media Studios
- How To Improve Your Google Rankings: 9 Steps to Rank Higher Fast Using Analytics – Orbit Media Studios
- Google Analytics: 21 Inaccurate Traffic Sources, Setup Mistakes …and Fixes – Orbit Media Studios
- Analytics for Teams: How to Collaborate using Google Analytics (plus, a sample agenda for marketing meetings) – Orbit Media Studios
- User Flow: Find the Top Path Through Your Website– Orbit Media Studios
- Google Analytics Reporting vs. Analysis: Insights From 4 Reports– Orbit Media Studios
- Analytics Help: Exclude internal traffic – Google
- Analytics Help: Set Up Site Search – Google
- Analytics Help: Set Up Cross Domain Tracking – Google
- Analytics Help: Install Google Analytics via Google Tag Manager – Google
- Search Console Help: Google Analytics and Search Console – Google
- Google Analytics Annotations – Google Analytics
- Episode Transcript
- Episode graphic via Freepik
Thanks for Listening!
I think you’ll love this episode just as much as we do. We can’t wait to hear what you think! Let us know in the comment section below.
If you enjoyed this episode, please spread the word on social media using the icons below or leave us a review on iTunes. We might just share your comments on our next show! And, to thank you for your time, we’ll send you a snazzy leather journal for your review. Here’s how to get it!
We look forward to your feedback!
Sponsor Shout Out:
We want to give a huge thanks to this week’s sponsor, S2N Design, a small, Memphis-based design shop that packs a big creative punch. S2N Design is our go-to design team and we have them to thank for our show’s logo and website. Check out more of their work at s2ndesign.com.
Interested in sponsoring our show? Get details here.